The Dojo is a traditional Japanese Karate club whose unique cultural heritage and authentic techniques stem directly from the Master Gogen Yamaguchi. Karate skills are developed through a series of interrelated drills designed to improve strength, speed, balance, flexibility and timing.
They are broken down into the follow major categories:
- Kihon Basics: building blocks of karate practice
- Waza Techniques: hand, foot and other
- Ido Movement: foundations and footwork
- Kata Forms: prescribed traditional patterns of movement
- Kumite Sparring: pre-arranged, sport and combat fighting
- Bunkai Analysis: practical application of a kata
Self defense and safety awareness are also an integral part of training.
Physical fitness is an important part of your karate training. Following a proper warm-up, a small amount of time during each class is spent developing strength and endurance. However, most of the class is spent refining karate techniques. We strongly encourage all members to follow a fitness training plan outside regular classes.